Re: Why I can not install software on debian easily?

On Tue 20 Dec 2016 at 11:16:28 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 12/20/2016 10:46 AM, Joe wrote:
> >On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 06:25:52 -0600
> >Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> >>I suspect the User Experience is as important as Application
> >>Software.
> >>Do you know which desktop is being used?
> >>
> >>I've been recommending Debian to an elderly friend who has
> >>expressed annoyance with current version(s) of Windows. He has
> >>sent me an old laptop with an implied "put up or shut up". I want
> >>to put together a demo system that will be attractive to him. I
> >>currently planning on Mate as the desktop. We live 1000 miles
> >>apart so can't just drive over to show him what I use. Comments? TIA
> >>

> >A good start would be finding the reasons for the current annoyance with
> >Windows, you wouldn't want to replicate them in an attempt to keep his
> >environment familiar.
>
> I've known him and his wife for >40 years. The rumbles I've heard have been
> that Microsoft changes things for the sake of changing things -- cf the
> change in default GUI from Gnome2 to Gnome3 [the reason I use Mate]. I'm
> aiming for a DE that someone who comfortably went from Win 3.x thru WinXP
> would feel at home with. I've not personally used anything since WinXP.

Gnome went from version 2 to version 3 just for the sake of it? No
rationale? You can substanstiate that? Or are you passing on the received
wisdom?

> >I went from Gnome2 to LXDE without too much trauma, at the time of
> >Gnome3's arrival i.e. pre-Mate. When LXDE started giving trouble, which
> >I now know was due to systemd arriving, I moved to Xfce4 and have been
> >happy with it.
> >
> >Note that Windows 8 can be made somewhat civilized, as presumably can
> >10. He doesn't really have to live with daft tiles and fixed full-screen
> >windows if he doesn't want to. My Win8.1 laptop looks and behaves much
> >like Win7 almost all of the time.
> >

> I don't know if the laptop in question can support it, but I'll investigate
> having Grub (LILO?) menu present a choice of desktops. It will take some
> thought to have them present the same application software and access the
> same user data files. [I.E. read email with SeaMonkey under Mate one day and
> under Xfce4 the next without mucking up content/context]

No. It doesn't take much thought. SeaMonkey should work flawlessly under
both DEs. But why change a DE every other day?

> [Previous paragraph is me thinking out loud ;]

Try not to do this too often.