Re: Why I can not install software on debian easily?

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 06:25:52 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 12/19/2016 5:28 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
> >
> > [1] Actual case. Thinks she is using Windows because she has
> > LibreOffice. Certainly not representative of all grandmothers.
> >

> I suspect the User Experience is as important as Application
> Software.
> Do you know which desktop is being used?
>
> I've been recommending Debian to an elderly friend who has
> expressed annoyance with current version(s) of Windows. He has
> sent me an old laptop with an implied "put up or shut up". I want
> to put together a demo system that will be attractive to him. I
> currently planning on Mate as the desktop. We live 1000 miles
> apart so can't just drive over to show him what I use. Comments? TIA

A good start would be finding the reasons for the current annoyance with
Windows, you wouldn't want to replicate them in an attempt to keep his
environment familiar.

I went from Gnome2 to LXDE without too much trauma, at the time of
Gnome3's arrival i.e. pre-Mate. When LXDE started giving trouble, which
I now know was due to systemd arriving, I moved to Xfce4 and have been
happy with it.

Note that Windows 8 can be made somewhat civilised, as presumably can
10. He doesn't really have to live with daft tiles and fixed full-screen
windows if he doesn't want to. My Win8.1 laptop looks and behaves much
like Win7 almost all of the time.

--
Joe