Re: network setup

A new user who does a command line installation (blind people with prior unix background are likely to do so) would do well to grep dmesg to find this stuff out. That's how I found out about the change in device naming earlier but I've been using Linux since Redhat 5.0 was state of the art.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, Erwan David wrote:

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 02:49:24
From: Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: network setup

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 10:08:01PM CET, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> said:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 09:02:45PM +0000, Brian wrote:
On Tue 13 Dec 2016 at 20:48:46 +0100, Erwan David wrote:
Do you think eno167778 will be more useful than eth0 to a new user ?

My God, why must I  use eno167778, he will say? I must change
this to something I like. connection0 looks good.

And so he can. So where's the problem?

A new user isn't even going to see it.  As long as the Internet connection
works, why would they bother to look at the interface names?

So the arguments about those names being for the new users are void. That does not help them.