Re: network setup

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 02:18:11PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 07:43:06PM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
I tried manual network configuration and debian renamed wlan0 to
wlx00c0ca364bd2 for some reason.

This is (somewhat ironically) called a "predictable interface name".
I don't know whether you can opt out of it under systemd: I'll leave
that for the experts (under sysvinit I still have the good old [1]
wlan0 etc. -- which I much prefer *in my context*)

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/ lists three options:

1) Disable the renaming of interfaces by:
  # ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/networks/99-default.link

2) Give the interfaces your own names (such as 'internet0','dmz' etc) by creating a .link file in /etc/systemd/network/

3) Pass "net.ifnames=0" on the kernel command line.

[1] Yes, I know the technical advantages and the whys of those
  predictable interface names. No, in my case the engineering
  tradeoff still skews *heavily* towards "traditional" names.
  And yes, I prefer to make this choice myself.

regards
-- tomás

--
For more information, please reread.