Re: network setup

On Wed 14 Dec 2016 at 14:03:09 +0100, David Jardine wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 08:54:07PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > When I ran machines containing two identical ethernet cards, it
> > was lucky dip as to which card got which name. That alone would
> > have made the new method far preferable, had it been available at
> > the time.
>
> But don't entries in
>   /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> solve this problem?

Apparently not. From

  * The mechanism for providing stable network interface names changed.
    Previously they were kept in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    which mapped device MAC addresses to the (arbitrary) name they got when
    they first appeared (i. e. mostly at the time of installation). As this
    had several problems and is not supported any more, this is deprecated in
    favor of the "net.ifnames" mechanism.

And in

  some 4 weeks ago I sent a first proposal to change persistent network
  interface naming away from our current
  /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules (which is
  inherently racy and doesn't apply to all virtualized environments) to
  udev's "net.ifnames":

--
Brian.