Re: How do I update the plug-ins in WordPress? Followed wiki.debian.org/WordPress. Says I need ftp server.

On 10/12/2016 23:59, Nate Homier wrote:
Debian 8 server.  all updates applied.

Followed carefully the wiki.debian.org/WordPress instructions. Now
WordPress says askimet plugin needs to be updated, but that ftp fails.  I
can't update plugin without having a ftp server apparently.  Otherwise
WordPress works great.  how do I update the plugins.  wouldn't it be
dangerous to have an ftp server?  Or is there some instructions out there
for setting up a secure ftp server that works with WordPress.  I have no
experience with ftp servers.

Hi, if you don't want to setup ftp access and give write access to wordpress to enable automatic updates, you can always drop the updated uncompressed package in your wp-content/plugins/ folder to replace the outdated one.

Run "dpkg-reconfigure wordpress" afterward to restore links.

Akismet being shipped with Wordpress in Debian you will find it in:

/usr/share/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/

and linked to in /var/lib/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/ .

For user installed plugins the other way round is usually the norm, but some plugins support symlinks better than others so if you run into problems try both ways around.

Hope it helps.