Re: understanding how localization works in Debian

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 01:45:52AM +0200, Martin T wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> > For a more detailed look at #3, see
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html

> thank you for reply! I do understand that LC_* and LANG variables can
> come from various places. For example even pushed by SSH client.
> However, were my other three points incorrect?

Uh... no?  Maybe?  I don't know?  For users and system admins and most
programmers, they're just irrelevant.

I, like, literally have *no* idea what files the locale information
is stored in.  I don't need to know.  Nobody needs to know this except
the people creating the Debian locales package(s).

What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to create a program with i18n/l10n support?

Are you trying to figure out what directories you can mount as shared
remote read-only file systems?

Are you trying to modify one of the Debian locales?