Re: Wheezy no longer accepts my passwords to open /home and /mnt partitions on boot

Le 09/12/2016 à 04:26, David Christensen a écrit :
On 12/07/16 22:06, Ken Heard wrote:
In my Wheezy box I have two encrypted hard drive partitions,
/dev/mapper/md07_crypt for /home and /dev/mapper/md05_crypt for /mnt.
(...)
This morning, when I tried to boot this box, I found that the
passwords for those two partitions were not accepted.
(...)
BOOT was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
BOOT: 245/120960 files (20.4% non-contiguous) 58505/241664 blocks
Fsck.ext4 No such file or directory while trying to open
/dev/mapper/md07_crypt.
Possibly non-existent device?
VAR: recovering journal

Looks like some other filesystems were not cleanly unmounted. Could it be related ?

[warn] A maintenance shell will now be started. CONTROL-D will
terminate the shell and resume system boot ... (warning)
Give root password form maintenance
(or type CONTROL-D to continue):

After entering the root password the root bang appeared.
(...)
I hope that somebody or bodies can tell me what to do to make this
computer usable again -- short of having to do a completely new
installation.

It depends what you mean by "usable".
If you just want to complete the init process, then comment out the /home line in /etc/fstab.

The first things you want to do is to check that /dev/md* exist and are active, and check the keyboard layout by typing the passphrases in cleartext.

If you don't care about the data on that drive, wipe it and do a fresh
install.

If you do care and don't have a backup

Then you are a fool. Encryption means "I prefer losing the data than having it disclosed". I guess you didn't make a backup of the master key or the LUKS header with cryptsetup ?