Re: non-free software requirement

Le 09/12/2016 à 00:46, Mark Fletcher a écrit :
that: 1) some drivers, for esoteric reasons, don't work as modules and
have to be compiled into the kernel image,

AFAIK, none of built-in drivers need any out-of-kernel firmware. How could such firmware be loaded before a root filesystem is mounted ?

2) udev rules may have subtle
flaws that cause drivers that are not needed to be loaded when hardware
is detected.

Any example of unneeded modules loaded by udev ?

So, if your computer is generally working it's possible that the device
driver that is complaining about missing firmware is actually a driver
you don't need...
(...)
On my Jessie install, there are several complaints about missing
firmware for drivers for hardware I don't have...

I am very skeptical about this. IME, a driver only asks for a firmware if it detects a device which needs it. So even if a driver is loaded without any related hardware present, it won't ask for any firmware.

Aren't you confusing with update-initramfs warning messages about possibly missing firmwares ? Otherwise, could you give an example of a driver module which is loaded and asks for firmware for hardware which is not present, and post the related kernel log lines ?