Re: potential damage to Debian "stable" when installing packages from "testing"

On 12/08/2016 08:53 PM, Rob van der Putten wrote:
> Hi there
>

> On 08/12/16 16:27, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>
>> 0) backport it yourself. It is not that hard to dget a dsc file from
>> testing and try to build it for the current release. Often works without
>> additional efforts.
>
> That's what I do. I'm rather blunt about it;
> 1. Does it compile?
> 2. Does it install?
> 3. Does it work?
> 4. Am I still happy about it after a while?
>
> Recently I ran into some squid and libcap3 problems;
> http://www.sput.nl/software/squid/squid-backport.html
>
> According to a friend it's OK to replace the maintainer supplied symbols
> file with the generated one. And the libcap3 does indeed compile and
> build a package.
> I'm considering building Squid with it and want to name the new package
> 3.5.22-1~bpo8+2 instead of 3.5.22-1~bpo8+1.
> Is this possible and how do I do this?
>

> Regards,
> Rob

You just will need to add or rename the current version in
debian/changelog file.

I'll suggest not to use +2 suffix but rather something which will not
overlap with a new official backport version, for example ~local.

It is important to note that the version of your locally build package
is less than the new version from backports, so the new official version
will be installed automatically when released and you will not stuck
forever with the old one.

Just out of curiosity I tried to build squid from testing for jessie,
here is the log: https://paste.debian.net/901373/