Re: potential damage to Debian "stable" when installing packages from "testing"

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 01:58:18PM +0200, Martin T wrote:
> let's say that I need a package named "weechat"(version 1.6-1) from
> Debian "testing":

Let's not say that.

Let's instead say "I am running jessie, but jessie's version of weechat
(1.0.1-1) is missing some features I need.  What should I do?"

The next step then is to look at jessie-backports.  There is a newer
version of weechat (1.5-1~bpo8+1) in jessie-backports.  So try that
one.

If that one STILL isn't new enough for you, then you have two choices:

1) Install weechat yourself from upstream source code.
2) Upgrade your entire system to stretch (testing).

> # apt-get install -t testing weechat
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>   binutils libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc-l10n libc6 libc6-dev libgcrypt20
> libgnutls30 libhogweed4 libncurses5 libn
>   weechat-curses
> Suggested packages:
>   binutils-doc glibc-doc rng-tools gnutls-bin weechat-doc
> Recommended packages:
>   manpages-dev weechat-plugins
>   libc-l10n libgnutls30 libhogweed4 libnettle6
>   binutils libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dev libgcrypt20

BAD! BAD! BAD!

> I guess one should not worry about new packages?

You should ABSOLUTELY worry about the UPGRADED pacakges!  Especially
when one of them is libc6.  That will affect basically EVERY program
on your entire system.

You should NOT do this!

Mixing testing and stable sources produces what we call a frankendebian.
It is an unsupportable mess.  It is not a question of whether it will
break, but rather HOW SOON it will break.

This is why we have jessie-backports.