Re: Brother HL-L2300D Mono Laser

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 19:44:32 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Lisi Reisz composed on 2016-12-09 00:21 (UTC):
>
> > On Thursday 08 December 2016 23:52:21 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> >> Any comments on this printer?  Brother HL-L2300D Mono Laser
>
> >> There seems to be a .deb for an LPR and  CUPSwrapper driver.
>
> > That was intended to have this URL in it, for the .deb:
> > http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?&c=gb&lang=en&prod=hll2300d_us_eu_as&os=128&type3=625&dlid=dlf006893_000
>
> No complaints about my year old Brother laser, other than a confusing web site
> WRT driver installation:
> http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/ModelDetail/1/HL5470DW/spec

I've been using a Brother HL-2280DW mono laser for a couple of years or
so. It seems to have the same arrangement Lisi's does - Brother
supplied lpr and cupswrapper .debs. They're closed source blobs, and
you need to accept some sort of licensing agreement, which I really
don't like, but once you do, the thing just works (I use it with CUPS).
It's been very reliable, rarely jams, and the print quality has
generally been good, except for with one toner cartridge - I buy third
party, and seem to have gotten a bad one. One of the attractions of
Brother lasers is that third party consumables are really cheap - at
least here in the USA, TN-450 compatible cartridge, rated for 2000
copies, frequently go on sale for about $10-$11 US.

The D models are auto-duplex, which I really like, and the feature has
always worked flawlessly. My W model is wireless, and I currently use
it via my WiFi network, which works perfectly. I previously used it via
ethernet, which also worked perfectly.

Celejar