Re: OT?: FAT32(/16?) Question: Max. files in top level directory

L'octidi 18 frimaire, an CCXXV, rhkramer@gmail.com a écrit :
> I recall that there is (or used to be?) a limit on the number of files in the
> top level directory of a FAT32 (or 16?) partition / drive.  If you needed to
> have more files in a directory, you had to create a subdirectory (and, as I
> recall, there was no limit on the number of files in a subdirectory).
>
> Does anybody else (reading this) recall that, and recall more details, like
> the maximum number of files and which FAT systems (32 or 16) this applied to,
> and, further, is it still a limit on FAT32?
>
> The limit might have existed in FAT12 as well (or some similar limit), but as
> I recall it was in FAT16 or later.

In FAT like many filesystems, directories are just files that contain
the name of other files and pointers to their data. The size of
directories is limited by the size of the file that implements it. It
can grow as needed.

Except in FAT, the root directory is statically allocated, and can not
grow.

You can observe the -r option to mkdosfs for example.