Jessie upgrade without systemd [was: Debian *not very good]

Joe:

A fair number of wheezy systems will be servers, upgraded many times. Mine started out as sarge. What are the odds of such a system making the change to systemd without problems?

It depends. But my own experience is that *if they were already using systemd* on Debian 7, it was a certainty that Debian bug #774153 will rear its ugly head in an upgrade to Debian 8. I personally hit it with every single such system that I upgraded. I hit it on test systems first, of course. So I had to put retaining shell access during the upgrade, to wait for the indeterminate point somewhere in the midst of about seven hundred package upgrades (alas, not at the same point on every machine) that one needs to go in and hand-run "daemon-reexec", into the upgrade procedure.