Re: Manually installed packages

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> P.S. http://wooledge.org/~greg/ds will sort the installed packages by
> size for you.  As you can see, many of us have been there, done that.

I would like to mention couple of things

1) You can do this by running dpigs in the debian-goodies package. For example

 % dpigs -H -n 5
 284.0M rstudio
 228.2M valgrind-dbg
 180.7M google-chrome-stable
 164.0M gcompris-data
 155.9M linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64

where -H lists the size in human readable format, -n specifies the
number of packages to be listed.

BTW there is nothing wrong with having your own script. I do it all
the time:). But I thought it might help users who are not aware of
this functionality in Debian itself.

2) The results from your script and dpigs are not consistent. The
dpigs utility shows valgrind-dbg but your script does not show it.

% perl ds | head -n 5
rstudio                                   290867
google-chrome-stable                      184994
gcompris-data                             167973
linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64                159681
chromium                                  158398

 % dpigs -n 5
290867 rstudio
233675 valgrind-dbg
184994 google-chrome-stable
167973 gcompris-data
159681 linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64

3) Please consider putting these type of scripts in a public
repository hosting services such as gitlab or github? They make it
easier for others to collaborate by reducing the barrier to report
bugs, suggest features, provide patches etc.,

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog