Re: arm people distributing images with user 1000 already allocated, please stop that

Le 01/12/2016 à 18:45, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> Greetings;
Hello,

> The arm folks, like unbuntu and raspian, are distribution for
> installation usually on an micro-sd card, install images with the first
> user pre-configured.  He is in the sudoers file, but the ability to
> install other software to actually DO something is restricted to a root
> pw only, and that is unknown/unpublished.
You talk about HAL ?

> I just spent 2 days (and I still have one more item to fix, probably no
> biggie, but it won't let ME run raspi.config, has a hissy because it
> can't even find pi's home directory)  with the sd card mounted
> intermittently in a reader, removing the user pi from the
> debian-jessie-full image, making it so that I was user 1000 and COULD
> install what I needed onto an raspberry pi 3b. That SW was linuxcnc,
> last nights bleeding edge version, supplied in a deb from the
> buildbot.linuxcnc.org. I expected the raspi to have problems with that
> SW because of its heavy, and time critical IRQ response requirements.
> But not a single instance of an out of range delay was recorded while it
> ran a virtual lathe to make half a dozen chess pawns on that lathe.  So
> we have a new, in-expensive machine controller lashup.
>
> This existing situation is very discouraging to potential new users who
> expect to be able to do these things from his own account.  And finds
> out quickly that there are many things that even user 1000 still cannot
> do on the raspi, or an odroid64-c2, an even more powerfull SBC thats
> still stuck in kernel 3.14 days. And that kernel, while running on it,
> has NO support for its 4 gpu's, nor working support for spi, which would
> appear to be the future interface to a machine controller of choice as
> it gives 72 gpio lines, quite some number of which can become useful
> functions like a PWM generator to control things that need an analog
> voltage control, or a stepper motor pulse generator, even a quadrature
> encoder receiver capable of tracking spindle position to a 1.5 degree
> accuracy at 12,000 rpms in the encoder I've built.  All that in an fpga
> card that sells for $53 and can be field re-programmed with one of many
> supplied fpga bit files.
If the maker of the board and/or SoC doesn't help the board can be
forever on old kernel with unknown source.

> Thats the bragging. But the pre-allocation of user 1000 in the
> distributed image, instead of that being part of the normal first login
> procedure is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to fix so that the first user can
> actually install what he needs to get his job done while logging in as
> himself, using his normal pw.
>
> Please exert what ever influence you may have to make the first user a
> first login function again for the arm distributions that port your
Like you write it's distributed image he as nothing to do with the
source, the distro maker choose to use that, you should talk to them.
> source.
>
> Thank you Debian for a great, stable (I'm still on wheezy with this old,
> slow, Phenom powered machine) os.  Its a place of familiarity that Just
> Works(TM) if one doesn't want to be a lab rat.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
Thanks.