Re: Index of hardware test utilities available in official Debian repositories

On 11/29/2016 6:51 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 06:31:48AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

I just looked at the intro of
https://debtags.alioth.debian.org/paper-debtags.html .
It appears that its goal is to solve my problem. I see a day of
interesting reading ahead.

In the meantime... would a full text search on the package descriptions
be a sufficient approximation for your needs? (I know: there is no
counterpart in the file cabinet analogy, except for possibly an inverted
index on the subtitle or something.

Then you could just choose the variant "Descriptions" on the "Search
package directories" part.

If you are reffering to searches such as
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=memory+test&searchon=all&suite=stable&section=all . Doesn't give good results.

That one gives equal weight to:
Package memtester
jessie (stable) (utils): Utility for testing the memory subsystem
Package brainparty
    jessie (stable) (games): 36 puzzle games for all the family
Package libdevel-cycle-perl
jessie (stable) (perl): Perl module to detect memory cycles in Perl objects

;<