Re: router solutions based on Debian?

On 24/11/16 14:46, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> More focussed at being a NAS than a router, but I built my own
> based on a J1900 Celeron (passively cooled, low power) SoC. I wrote
> up details[1]. Lars Wirzenius did something similar (focussed on
> being a router rather than NAS) and wrote that up too[2].
>
> The vendor I bought mine from offered a bundle with a daughter
> board bringing it up to 5 gigabit ports (but I didn't opt for that
> option personally) (also this was a different, Atom-based SoC)
>
> J1900 is Bay Trail, there are probably similar products in the
> Braswell or other, newer lines, which may or may not be lower power
> usage, or higher performance, or both...
>
> From a NAS POV, I'd look for a case that supports 3.5" drives and
> possibly some growing room. What I really wanted was something a
> bit like the "toaster"-style NAS appliances you can get (two
> vertical 3.5" drives) but I didn't find quite what I wanted and
> ended up with something bigger. I've since seen some cases which
> look closer to what I want than I achieved[4], but still not quite
> as compact as an off the shelf Synology or QNAP.

Thanks for sharing that feedback and the links.  Lars' blog is one
that I had recalled seeing but couldn't quite find when searching.

My latest thinking about the NAS is that I probably won't prioritize
this requirement, mainly for security reasons but also because it will
be good to be able to do upgrades on the router independently of
upgrades/modifications to the NAS.

A few years back I set up a number of pairs of FreeBSD-based routers
on x86 servers for BGP and OSPF with quagga.  These were in data
centers rather than my home.  It was quite satisfactory and felt a lot
better than using one of the proprietary routers.  At the time, many
people felt FreeBSD offered substantially more net IO performance than
the Linux kernel, especially with those type of routing tables, is
that still the feeling today or is such a solution just as valid with
Debian as it is with FreeBSD or OpenBSD?

Regards,

Daniel