Re: router solutions based on Debian?

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 03:54:17PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I've seen a lot of discussions about making DIY routers running a free
> OS like Debian, FreeBSD or OpenBSD and I was tempted to go with
> something like that running Shorewall, strongSwan, DHCP and DNS.  Maybe
> it will also do wifi or maybe the existing router will be a bridge to wifi.
>
> Can anybody share any comments or links about this topic?

I wrote about my hardware selection in

https://randomstring.org/blog/blog/2014/11/09/a-new-firewall/

It's been working very well for me for the last two years,
running iptables, DHCP in failover with another server, Unbound,
OpenVPN, all on top of Debian Jessie.

If I did it over again I would note that 2GB of RAM and a slower
CPU could probably serve just as long, and that I only need
three gig-e ports, not five.

Having a small SSD to keep a full reboot cycle under 30 seconds
is an awesome win, though. TCP sessions don't drop. Highly
recommended.

-dsr-