Re: JACK Audio Connection Kit

On 16/11/16 07:38, Ric Moore wrote:
> Is there some reason removing the libjack-jackd2-0 package removes
> everything audio/video and the kitchen sink??

My theory goes something like this. You have a desktop environment
package installed - something like gnome, or in your case perhaps
xubuntu-desktop (suggesting you're asking about Ubuntu on a Debian list,
but never mind). That depends on a lot of applications which have been
deemed useful for such a desktop.

Some of them (eg timidity) depend on this jack package, so if you remove
jack, timidity has to go, and therefore the desktop package has to go.

But because all those applications were only installed because the
desktop depended on them (ie you didn't install them manually), they're
marked as automatic. So when you remove the desktop, aptitude at least
assumes that you probably no longer want all those other packages
either, and removes them.

The solution, then, might be to 'aptitude unmark auto' all the packages
that are required by xubuntu-desktop which you still want, so that you
can remove the xubuntu-desktop package without having any other effect.
Of course, if any of the packages you want directly depend on
libjack-blah, you have a problem.

xubuntu-desktop might not be the actual (or only) culprit, of course.

And I'm not sure how non-aptitude package managers behave in this regard.

Richard