Re: Coercing sane file permissions -- site specific

On 11/20/2016 7:58 AM, Joe wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 13:33:51 +0100
Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:

Le decadi 30 brumaire, an CCXXV, Richard Owlett a écrit :
Not as I read them.

Then you did not read correctly.

They give methods of handling an explicitly specified device.

Tomas' answer contains the solution to your problem: the umask mount
option. This it, no more no less.

To know how to actually use it, re-read Tomas' answer, RTFM, RTFW or
hire a consultant. But you have your answer.

Tomas' answer contains *a* solution, for a specific device.

There *is* a generic answer, which requires no fstab entry, but I have
to admit that I haven't a clue what it is.

I'm running sid with systemd, with absolutely nothing in /etc/fstab
which refers to USB sticks, but nonetheless any USB stick inserted is
recognised and automounted under /media/joe (maybe immediately and maybe
on access, I'm not sure, but it shows instantly in file managers) with
everything in a FAT partition having ownership of joe:me and
permissions of 644. Ext partitions have their own permissions, as
expected.

This all Just Works, and I have no idea what configuration it depends
on. "I didn't build this," sid basically builds and rebuilds itself, so
I tend to keep my fingers out of the works. I do know that USB sticks
were a real pain with usbmount, which *sometimes* mounted the entire
device instead of the partitions, and at some point, things just
started working better.

There is nothing in /etc/polkit-1, /etc/udev or /etc/udisks2 referring
to USB sticks, which are the most likely suspects as far as I can see.
Presumably the culprit is systemd, as usual, so possibly someone more
knowledgable about this beast can finish my part-answer.

Do you have a file named "pmount.allow"?
Web searches turn up references to it, but haven't found any details on syntax and/or examples.