Re: Does hdparm not run at startup anymore?

On 11/12/2016 09:14 PM, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> thank you for your reply and your testing.
>
> On Saturday 12 November 2016 16:40:40 Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>> On 11/12/2016 08:37 AM, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>>> + Alexandre, hdparm maintainer

>> <skip>

>> Hi Rainer,
>> I can not reproduce this problem on my machine:
>>
>> lsb_release -c
>> Codename:    jessie
>>
>> hdparm -V
>> hdparm v9.43
>>
>> egrep -v "^$|^#" /etc/hdparm.conf
>> /dev/sdc {
>>          apm = 64
>>          acoustic_management = 250
>> }
>> /dev/sdd {
>>          apm = 128
>> }
>> /dev/sdf {
>>          apm = 48
>> }
>>

>> for disk in sdc sdd sdf; do echo $disk; hdparm -I /dev/$disk | egrep
>> "level:|acoustic"; done
>> sdc
>>     Advanced power management level: 64
>>     Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 250
>> sdd
>>     Advanced power management level: disabled
>>     Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 128
>> sdf
>>     Advanced power management level: 48
>>     Recommended acoustic management value: 208, current value: 0
>>
>> The values are set after reboot or after init script restart.
>>

> Hmm...since hdparm works for me if I do a
>
> # /etc/init.d/hdparm restart
>
> after boot (or even in /etc/rc.local, is it possible that hdparm runs for my system for whatever reason too early (though it is not special setup, all SATA SSDs and HDDs)?
>
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

you can try to tweak the init script to see what is really happening,
for example by echoing more information or redirecting the command
outputs to a logfile.
Alternatively you can give hdparm link a higher Start number in
/etc/rc3.d/ to see if it helps.

Best,
Alex