Re: btrfs filesystem full problems (was Re: A full /var partition destroyed 3 hours of my life!)

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 02:25:55PM -0500, Borden Rhodes wrote:
> Correct you are! The various incantations used different filters and
> one of them worked. I have no idea what filters are and I would die a
> happy man without needing to know.

Last time I used 'btrfs balance', I had to run it with increasing (or
decreasing) values for the -fi argument (iirc), as the initial values freed up
just enough working space for the subsequent values to work within, and the
subsequent values would not work when I first tried them. If that makes sense.
I was left with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Nowadays I only use btrfs for a development space (as a docker storage backend)
and when it goes pear-shaped, I just blow it away and start again, there's
nothing stored there which can't be recreated.

> I use Debian testing, so it's whatever kernel and btrfs packages that
> were in that as of yesterday.

Ah ok, thanks.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.