No right or middle click on XFCE desktop after Upgrade from Jessie to Stretch

Hello,

A month or two ago I moved a certain computer from jessie
to stretch and after doing so found that neither the right
nor the middle mouse buttons have any effect when clicked
on the XFCE desktop.  The expected thing happens when
clicking on a panel, but on the desktop, nothing.  To get
to the applications menu I have to have that button on a
panel and always use it.

I recall vaguely, in past version updates, having the same
problem and eventually finding a checkbox somehere that
had come unchecked during the upgrade process, but this
time I've  searched in vain for a checkbox or any other
means to reset it.

I've done searches for mention of anyone else having this
problem and found nothing.  I did find people actually
wanting to disable right clicking on desktop in kiosk
mode and being told that it's impossible without
recompiling which makes me wonder how this has happened.

I'm wondering if this is a bug or have I just not yet
found the proper place to reset something?

Don MacDougall