Re: JACK Audio Connection Kit

On Tuesday 15 November 2016 13:38:46 Ric Moore wrote:

> Is there some reason removing the libjack-jackd2-0 package removes
> everything audio/video and the kitchen sink??
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    buzztrax cheese clementine cube2 espeak ffmpeg flare-engine
> flare-game fluidsynth giada gir1.2-cheese-3.0 gmidimonitor
> gnome-video-effects gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
> indicator-sound libasound2-plugins libavdevice57 libcanberra-pulse
> libcheese-gtk25 libcheese8 libespeak1 libfarstream-0.2-5
> libfluidsynth1 libjack-jackd2-0 libportaudio2 libpurple-bin libpurple0
> librtmidi3 libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0
> libsdl2-mixer-dev libxine2 libxine2-misc-plugins libxine2-plugins
> midisnoop milkytracker mpg123 osspd
>    osspd-pulseaudio petri-foo pidgin pidgin-libnotify
> projectm-pulseaudio pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat qmidiarp
> qsynth redeclipse sauerbraten
>    sdlbasic sdlbrt seq24 showq soundconverter speech-dispatcher
> timidity timidity-daemon widelands xine-ui xubuntu-core
> xubuntu-desktop yoshimi 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 64 to remove
> and 0 not upgraded. After this operation, 924 MB disk space will be
> freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> Damn, that is a LOT!

You didn't relay what package manager you are using my old friend.

That sounds like something aptitude would do. I've had 2 systems totally
destroyed by it now, the last one because it assumed an automatic yes
that I didn't give it.  So I don't trust anything but synaptic-pkexec to
do the right thing anymore.  The pkexec means you run it as yourself,
and it will ask you for your passwd to get its root privs, after it
checks to see if you are in the sudoers file.

Cheers Ric, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)