[SOLVED]Re: wheezy, cannot change the address of eth1

On Friday 11 November 2016 23:49:18 Andy Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 09:13:26PM +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > To cut a long story short, you can't add a default route if you
> > already have one (well, technically you can, but you'd need to
> > provide more information). You probably have a default route sending
> > traffic over eth0.
>
> Yes, I concur. He needs to remove the "gateway" line from his eth1
> stanza as he does not need another default route going out of that
> interface.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Done that, on eth0:1 now. and I can talk to it. But its slow, darned
slow, clicking on a menu item takes 7 or 8 seconds to see the result.

The first thing I want to do is put a newer firmware in it, 12 revisions
newer.  I registered it with netgear, so I'll ding their LL Monday as
while I have downloaded and unpacked the file, there is not any
instructions about how that is done. I may have found that menu function
but I don't want to brick it if its something else, so we'll let tech
support tell me how.

It claims to be able to do dhcp, and my dd-wrt router has a server, but I
also have a mac address list it restriction is not on yet so thats being
rejected.  Attempts to put it manually on my local networks address
block have failed, but some of their menu's may as well be in swahili
since I have never dealt with a ""managed" switch before.  I expect the
first thing to do after the firmware is updated, is add its MAC to
dd-wrt's list so dhcpd works.

What I want it to be is a basic 8 port hub, plugged into a non managed
switch via about a 60 foot cable plugged into the switch here in this
room, and currently hooking up one machine in the garage.  The garage is
growing more machines, probably 2 more r-pi's before I am fully hooked
to a lathe I am cnc'ing.

So the instant problem is solved, and I thank the several people who did
respond with helpfull links, you know who you are.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)