Re: dd - proper use or more suitable program

On 2016-11-11 at 12:37, Christian Seiler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 11. November 2016 17:57:27 MEZ, schrieb Andy Smith
> <andy@strugglers.net>:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 10:49:37AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> I was considering using dd to copy the entire drive to a
>>> *SINGLE* partition of a 1 TB drive with the intention making a
>>> "byte perfect" of of the defective drive to a new 300 GB drive at
>>> a later time to then attempt "data rescue". Partitions other than
>>> the first are evidently readable.
>>>
>>> Suggestions/comments please.
>>
>> You are better off using GNU ddrescue for taking images of
>> possibly-failing devices.
>
> Full ACK: GNU ddrescue has saved my data multiple times in the past,
> I can really recommend it. (The "log file" is very helpful with
> resuming at a later point in time if you had to cancel it.)
>
> Just don't confuse it with dd_rescue, which I don't recommend unless
> you are an expert and have a very special case.

There's also myrescue, which is similar in function to both but which
I've found easier and less confusing to use in the past - if perhaps
only because it eliminates the confusion about remembering which of the
other two is the one which is more problematic.

The trouble with all of these is that not only do you need a device with
enough space to store the entire device you're drawing from (ideally in
a file rather than on the device directly), to do it properly and safely
you also need enough extra space - on another device is fine - to store
the log file which gets created during the rescue process.

--
   The Wanderer can't figure out why he's now thinking of the game IVAN