Re: parted is ALMOST suitable

On Fri 11 Nov 2016 at 15:38:07 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Le 08/11/2016 à 00:54, Brian a écrit :
> >
> >When blkid is run as root it creates the file
> >/run/blkid/blkid.tab. A user running blkid only gets to see the contents
> >of blkid.tab.
>
> That does not appear to be completely correct.
> If I run blkid as a standard user after plugging a USB drive, it lists the
> USB drive partition, although blikd.tab was not modified.
>
> $ /sbin/blkid | grep sdb
> /dev/sdb1: LABEL="USB DISK" UUID="48DB-E077" TYPE="vfat"
>
> $ grep sdb /etc/blkid.tab || echo not found
> not found

As the manual says:

 CACHE_FILE=<path>
   Overrides the standard location of the cache file. This setting
   can be overridden by the environment variable BLKID_FILE. Default
   is /run/blkid/blkid.tab, or /etc/blkid.tab on systems without a
   /run directory.

> However note that /dev/sdb* is owned by group "floppy" and my standard user
> account is a member of this group.

If you are on Jessie (and have not altered any udev rules) you have a
broken system. Please post the output of 'ls -l /etc/udev/rules.d'.

--
Brian.