Re: sound disappeared

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 13:49:14 -0500
Anthony Baldwin <baldwinlinguas@gmx.com> wrote:

> I really need to hear my Opeth (Swedish Death Metal!! \m/ ) now, for
> workout time, and I'm bummed.

Boot a live CD, then.

When this happens to me, it's because I have more than one sound
device, and the coin lands on a different side one day and another
one is designated the default.

There is allegedly a way to prevent this happening, but it is
sufficiently involved (nothing as simple as adding a string to a
configuration file, or ticking a GUI box) that I can't be bothered,
because I'll have to learn how to do it again in a different way in
another six months. Sound under Linux is a moving target.

If you have more than one sound device (if you have an HDMI socket,
there is a sound device associated with that) try:

Have a look in /proc/asound/cards to find the current card order.

Look in /etc/asound.conf to see if the xxx.!default options match what
your speakers are connected to. If you don't have this file you might
try creating it. Mine looks like:

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

Currently the card designated 0 is the one I want to use, out of three.
But the numbering might change tomorrow.

--
Joe