Re: sound disappeared

On 11/08/2016 01:49 PM, Anthony Baldwin wrote:

On 11/08/2016 01:22 PM, Alberto Luaces wrote:
Tony Baldwin writes:

looks like
Built-in Audio Analog Stereo Line Out (plugged in)
Here's a screen-shot of pavucontrol:

http://tonybaldwin.me/images/pavucontrol110816124906.jpg

Analog Line Out for me as well, so that part could be covered.

what you can see is line above "advanced"moving up and down (okay,
really right and left) with the doom metal I have playing (but can't
hear).

It should be known that I still had sound yesterday after installing
ripperx, for hours, right up to 11 pm last night (looks like I had
installed it around 12pmish, 11 hours earlier), but when I logged in
at 6am this morning I had no sound

Are you by chance using etckeeper?  You could inspect configuration
changes with it.

never even heard of it, had to do aptitude search and show to learn what
it is even.
I suppose it's probably too late (as far as diagnosing this current
problem anyway) to install it now...
perhaps I should install it for future uses.
I hthink I may try and boot to a live system and see what happens as
Lisi suggested,
I'm going to assume some change affected by aptitude activity in the
past 24 hours is most likely to blame, and really hope it's not my
mobo's on-board audio.
I have a spare video card in my desk, but no audio card.
Going through all the hassle of finding one compatible with my hardware
and system is a little more involved then fixing a software issue.
I think just about any PCI sound card should work with Debian, and my
hardware, though, unless I'm mistaken. I have a couple open PCI slots.

I really need to hear my Opeth (Swedish Death Metal!! \m/ ) now, for
workout time, and I'm bummed.

I had a bunch of trouble with my sound system for awhile, running sid. I had to use alsamixer several times before pulse would behave. I could boot to my xubuntu partition and had no problems. So, I hold my nose and spend more time there. :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html