Re: sound disappeared

Anthony Baldwin writes:

> On 11/08/2016 11:04 AM, Tony Baldwin wrote:
>> Yesterday, I was listening to music with mocp, and watching videos on YT
>> Without issue, and today, for no apparent reason, I've lost all sound.
>> I can't hear modp, smplayer, vlc, youtube, nothing.
>> I checked alsamixer and pavucontrol, nothing is muted.
>
> Someone is going to ask, so:
> yes, the speakers are plugged in and appropriately powered.
> I am right now listening to music from my phone using the same
> speakers, plugged into the phone.
> They were plugged into the mobo's onboard audio before I unplugged
> them from there and plugged them into my phone.
> Nothing has changed on the hardware since I was last listening to sound.
> I haven't made any relevant/significant software changes either.
> I've also tried to plu some earbuds into the on-board audio, and can't
> hear anything through those, either. so the problem can't be the
> speakers.

It happens to me that after a reboot the output of PulseAudio is being
redirected to a digital output, which I cannot hear.  Unplugging and
plugging again my speakers makes the thing discover again the analog
output and solves the issue, but I see you have already plugged and
unplugged several speakers.

I would nevertheless inspect pavucontrol to see which output is active.

--
Alberto