Re: Problem attempting to use xorriso

On 11/4/2016 3:04 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Richard Owlett's xorriso wrote:
xorriso : FAILURE : Cannot write all bytes to disk filesystem path '/media/myrepo/pool/main/n/ns3/ns3-doc_3.17+dfsg-1_all.deb' : No space left on device
xorriso : aborting : -abort_on 'FAILURE' encountered 'FAILURE'

Looks like the filesystem to which you copy is full.

My running copy of Debian is on /dev/sda9 and had ~4GB of 10GB used.

Determine the device file and mount point of the destination by

   df /media/myrepo/pool/main/n/ns3

or if missing by the lowest existing directory above that path.

It should tell you something like

   Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
   /dev/sda3      490205312 23072576 442208680   5% /

but with "Use%" 99% or 100% and possible a mount path longer than "/".
That's where you would have to make room.

Evidently xorriso does EXACTLY what told to do
*NOT* what operator _THOUGHT_ he had told it to do ;/ <*ROFL*>

When I had "crashed and burned" on my reported run of xorriso, one of my attempts to figure out what had happened triggered a graphical display of that I had no space left and gave me an option to forcibly delete directories which physically resided on /dev/sda9 - which I did. I then had an apparently operable system.

Before seeing your message I did a fresh install of Debian to /dev/sda9 which was expanded from 10GB to 80GB.

I then modified my script to run xorriso by adding a manual breakpoints for trouble shooting:

  for i in /media/root/jessie-dvds/dvd8_*.iso
  do
    xorriso -osirrox on:auto_chmod_on -overwrite nondir \
            -indev "$i" \
            -extract /pool /media/myrepo/pool

    echo ""
    echo "*********************"
    echo "Just processed " "$i"
    read -p "press Enter (Ctrl+C to exit)" dummyvar
  done

Each time the script paused I did
  df /media/myrepo/pool/main/n
in a different terminal window. I displayed messages of the form:

/dev/sda3 490205312 23072576 442208680 5% /

Under "Filesystem" it reported /dev/sda9 rather than the expected /dev/sda11 . Caja indicates my "filesystem" contains 60.1 GB of which 57.7 GB are in /media/myrepo. Nothing seems to have gotten to /dev/sda11 which was my intended destination.

Based on responses to previous posts titled "Trivial script will NOT execute" and "Permissions for an entire PARTITION" I have multiple problems understanding Linux file systems generally.

My current homework is to now re-read ~40 posts and a to be determined number of referenced links. Keywords will likely include path, working directory, inode and mount ;/

--
If retirement isn't for learning, what use is it.