Re: reportbug and GMail SMTP servers

from the link that i posted earlier-
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/configure-postfix-to-use-gmail-as-a-mail-relay/

you are supposed to have these in your main.cf-
relayhost = [smtp.gmail.com]:587
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

which i don't see in your paste.debian.net...

from me configuring a couple of different virtual machines to use googles smtp you are going to have to change the line-
in debian to-
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/sasl_passwd

for some reason, that i don't know, in my two debian virts-
cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
dpkg -l | grep postfix
ii  postfix                          2.11.3-1

cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux stretch/sid"
dpkg -l | grep postfix
ii  postfix                        3.1.3-1

the extra dir-
/etc/postfix/sasl
is created

and then you have to run-
postmap /etc/postfix/sasl/sasl_passwd
to make things work properly.

for your actual google settings you are going to have to go to-
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
and work your way through that.

test your system by sending an email to another one of your email addresses from the machine that you are trying to send from (the one you're having problems with)
mail -s test.hostmachine email.address

once that is done then you can go back and flip the switch back to shut off the 'less secure' in your google account (worked for mine anyway)

i have 6 virtuals of different distros that i have set up to relay through google.smtp for testing purposes by using that howtoforge link.

check the change logs on what might have changed in postfix when you did your dist-upgrade (if postfix upgraded) and then trouble shoot it from there.

google is your friend
please remove my email address from your replies and only reply to this group instead of all

thank you
em