Re: Problem attempting to use xorriso

Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
> Evidently xorriso does EXACTLY what told to do
> *NOT* what operator _THOUGHT_ he had told it to do ;/ <*ROFL*>

That's the curse of being a king with absolutely loyal subjetcs.

> a graphical display of
> that I had no space left and gave me an option to forcibly delete
> directories which physically resided on /dev/sda9

Scary. One should well consider before accepting such an offer.

> Under "Filesystem" it reported /dev/sda9 rather than the expected /dev/sda11
.
> [...]
> Nothing seems to have gotten to /dev/sda11 which was my intended destination.

Normally i think of filesystems by their mountpoint paths, not by
their partition device paths.
The command df shows a list which associates both path families.

Meanwhile we have lots of virtual filesystems like "tmpfs" or "udev".
One may keep them out of the list by a filter command which lets pass
only lines beginning by "/dev":

  df | grep '^/dev'

(Command "mount" without any arguments will list even more non-storage
 filesystems.)

> "Trivial script will NOT execute"

That one looks like you do not yet have in mind the meaning of shell
variable PATH when the shell has to execute a program path that does
not contain a "/" character.
Inspect content of PATH by

  echo " $PATH"

which should give a string of paths separated by colons ":". Like
   /home/thomas/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
It is normally set by shell startup files, like /etc/profile, and
may be personalized by your file "$HOME"/.bashrc.

The shell tries the directories listed in PATH with commands of form

  command arguments

It looks only into the current working directory if the program path
begins by "./" (and has no other "/" in it):

  ./command arguments

If your command resides in some directory which is neither in PATH nor
the working directory, then you can run it by its complete file path:

  /home/thomas/command arguments

> "Permissions for an entire PARTITION"

That one became soon too brushy to follow, i fear.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas