Re: EUREKA!!!! - was [Re: Permissions for an entire PARTITION]

On Sun 30 Oct 2016 at 09:19:04 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, October 30, 2016 08:54:45 AM Brian wrote:
> > There are some good things which have come out of this discussion. To
> > use cfdisk, fdisk, dd, mkfs.vfat and grub-install a user has to be
> > root. Being able to mount as non-root is neither here nor there on
> > jessie and stretch for the purpose of installing GRUB, so references to
> > pmount etc can go.
>
> Are you the maintainer or an author on that wiki page (the one that has been
> discussed here)?

I don't think wiki pages have maintainers as such, just people who take
an interest and provide additional information, corrections and updates.
Yes, I am the originator of the page, but it is everyone's page.

> If so, have you considered splitting the page into two pages, one for Wheezy
> (or pre-Jessie) and one for Jessie?  The intent would be to keep valid
> information for Wheezy for people that might still need it.

As it stands, anyone using pre-Jessie (that's a good way you found of
putting it) could follow the instructions on the page and carry them out
without needing root access. It should be possible to accomodate pre-
and post-Jessie users on the same page by making the requirements for
the different distributions clearer. After all, the commands to use are
practically identical. A small extra section would do it.

--
Brian.