Re: pen testing beginner

On 10/29/16, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/2016 11:50 AM, emetib wrote:
>> have been a linux only person since before 2000 (late 2.2 early 2.4
>> kernels), yet haven't done much with it in the last ten years. ...
>
>> i'm looking at getting back into it and into pen
>> testing.
>
> I assume you mean penetration testing.  Given that computers and
> networks are built from many hardware, firmware, and software work
> products, I would expect that there are specialties.  It might help to
> pick one, and then find the knowledge and skill dependencies.

Is this a place where searching Debian's documentations for references
to "hardening" would apply?

>> from what i have been reading lately i'm going to have to know quite
>> a bit about a couple of different things that i didn't jump to deep
>> into before, programming and networking especially. ...
>
>> i have given myself a four year window on this learning cycle and am
> curious about going about it. ...
>
>> please just give advice and not right or wrong opinions on what i
>> maybe trying to do with my options and if i should actually take some
>> classes to augment my self learning.
>
> If you are serious about this, go get yourself a degree in computer
> science.  I preferred and recommend the old-fashioned university
> approach -- professors, planned sequence of courses, classrooms, labs,
> textbooks, homework, projects, and especially the camaraderie of other
> students.

Ditto to infinity and beyond. Don't be me. I've been exposed to
computers since 1994, and I struggle, spin my wheels every day trying
to get through things (serious cognitive issues don't help). I did
local tech school in 1999, and... was pretty much bored.

Full blown university is what I would most unhumbly suggest if it's at
all possible. No offense to tech schools at all. Very much needed, but
in smaller areas like mine was back then, content is super basic
beginner level.

You know, you could always bring potential course offerings back here
to the list and see if anyone has a yay/nay opinion on lifetime value
towards what you seek. If you do so, keep in mind that being too
specific could accidentally be self-exposing if you're trying to
maintain anonymity for any reason.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey