Re: New install Jesse 8.6.0...grub2 problem

On 10/30/16, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 30/10/2016 à 13:13, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
>> On Thursday 06 October 2016 19:12:43 Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>>>
>>> The result of bootinfoscript would be a good starting point.
>>
>> I have Jessie fully updated and aptitude can't find bootinfoscript.
>
> How did you search ? It is a command, not a package name. The package
> name is boot-info-script (don't ask me why hyphens were inserted).

I'm going to step out onto a limb and presume she did what I just did,
input "bootinfoscrript" into her preferred Debian package manager and
let 'er rip. In fact, Lisi referenced "aptitude", her preferred
package manager.

For mine, I use "apt-cache search". It returns feedback on anything
you input, not just package names. I a-sume aptitude and others
perform similarly.

When queried via "apt-cache search", "bootinfoscript" received back
zero possibilities here, too. However, querying "boot-info-script" did
return something. One returned possibility:

"boot-info-script - inspect boot environment"

Cool. Will be checking it out.

The hyphens in the middle of the name were likely injected as a
cognitive friendly addition to the name in the same way many other
packages do. I can understand those are a pain when keying them in a
lot. I detest underscores even more.

As a reminder tip for newcomers: When beginning to type in a terminal
command, especially the ones with characters that "annoy" you, one can
start typing the name and then hit the tab key a time or two to be
offered a chance to have the command autocompleted. If there's a list
of commands that start similarly,  you just have to keep trimming
things down by adding more characters (letters, numbers) until the
desired command is the only one left to be autocompleted.

With underscores, it recently crossed my reading path that once in a
great while hyphens and underscores are interchangeable. Haven't had a
situation come up to be able to test that one so it remains a
theoretical #toDo.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey