Re: New install Jesse 8.6.0...grub2 problem

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 10:35:59AM -0400, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 10/30/16, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> >> I have Jessie fully updated and aptitude can't find bootinfoscript.
> >
> > How did you search ? It is a command, not a package name. The package
> > name is boot-info-script (don't ask me why hyphens were inserted).
>

> I'm going to step out onto a limb and presume she did what I just did,
> input "bootinfoscrript" into her preferred Debian package manager and
> let 'er rip. In fact, Lisi referenced "aptitude", her preferred
> package manager.
>
> For mine, I use "apt-cache search". It returns feedback on anything
> you input, not just package names. I a-sume aptitude and others
> perform similarly.
>
> When queried via "apt-cache search", "bootinfoscript" received back
> zero possibilities here, too. However, querying "boot-info-script" did
> return something. One returned possibility:
>
> "boot-info-script - inspect boot environment"
>
> Cool. Will be checking it out.

A lot of people seem to forget or not know about apt-file. It allows
searches in both directions -- apt-file show <package-name> will tell
you what files are installed by the package and where they go. apt-file
search <file> shows which package the file came from. The package does
_not_ need to be installed for apt-file to do its work, but you do need
to have run apt-file update before expecting up to date and correct
answers.

Very similar, I think, to apt-cache search when doing apt-file show but
with the additional ability to go the other way. For example I just did
apt-file search bootinfoscript to find out that the file is contained in
boot-info-script.

Mark