Re: Permissions for an entire PARTITION

Richard Owlett:

> My original question had (apparently incorrectly assume that partitions
> handled user/group/world permissions in the same manner as file systems.

Even if you found a solution to your problem, this sentence does not
make much sense and I still assume you are confused about a few basics.

Hard disks / SSDs are usualy split into one or more partitions. A
partition is nothing more than a slice of a disk with a given size. It
does not have any permissions except for the permissions of the block
device in /dev that represents it (e.g. /dev/sda1).

Filesystems organize storage space into files and directories. They are
often (but not necessarily) created inside partitions. Since there is
usually a 1:1 relation between partitions and filesystems, many people
use both terms interchangeably but that is technically wrong. You cannot
mount a partition, only a filesystem (which, again, may or may not be
inside a partition).

J.
--
Every year I wonder what a tinsel-making machine looks like. And what it
does in summer.