Re: Permissions for an entire PARTITION

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:33:23AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 10/25/2016 10:40 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >The simplest way would be to synchronize your UID across all your
> >installed operating systems.  If your UID is, let's say, 1000 on every
> >system, and the files on the partition are owned by user 1000, then
> >user 1000 (you) will have ownership of the files whenever you mount
> >the partition.
>
> That sounds like what I want.
> I had previously created a ext2 partition on /dev/sda10 and a
> label of jessie-dvds .
> How do I inform the "WORLD" that it belongs to UID 1000?

Err... what?  I don't understand what you're asking.

You boot into an installed operating system.  Let's say it's Debian
wheezy.

You login as some user account.  Let's say it's "richard" with UID 1000.

Now you are richard, and you are UID 1000.

When the partition is mounted, any files on it that are owned by UID
1000 are yours for the taking.  You are UID 1000, even if the files
were created by UID 1000 from a different operating system.

> Right now when I attempt to mount it, I am asked for root password.
> Not acceptable.

So your actual question is how to *mount* the partition?  In the fstab
file, include the "user" option to allow non-root users to mount the
partition.  Better still, just make the partition mount automatically
at boot time (defaults).

Is there a particular reason you wanted the partition NOT to be mounted
by default, and to require the logged-in user to enter a command?