Re: Permissions for an entire PARTITION

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 10:32:29AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm in a multi-boot environment, multiple installs of Debian.
> I want all install to have read/write/execute permissions.
> The partition will effectively be serving as a common scratch pad
> in order to exchange information. There is organically a single
> user, [*ME*] and there is *NO* networking of any sort whatsoever.

The simplest way would be to synchronize your UID across all your
installed operating systems.  If your UID is, let's say, 1000 on every
system, and the files on the partition are owned by user 1000, then
user 1000 (you) will have ownership of the files whenever you mount
the partition.

If that's not an option, then you'll need to use Unix permissions.
If you can synchronize a *group* GID across all OSes, then you can
just make the files and directories group-writable by that group.

Otherwise, you'll have to make everything world-writable.