Re: archivemail default setup

Mark Fletcher [2016-10-22 14:45:19+09] wrote:

> The command I am running is:
>
> archivemail --output-dir=/home/mark/Mail/ -d 31 --delete /var/mail/mark
>
> My mailbox is in /var/mail/mark. I didn't choose to put it there, that
> is where it went when the system was installed. I am not sure if that is
> thanks to the default settings of exim4, mutt, or something else.
>
> Now /var/mail is owned by root:mail and had access 775. /var/mail/mark
> is owned by mark:mail and has permissions 660.
>
> Whenever I ran archivemail as mark, it was complaining that it did not
> have write access to /var/mail (it wanted to write a lock file) and then
> proceeded to say it was deleting 0 messages.

You can configure Exim to deliver mail to mailbox format in ~/Maildir
directory. Just run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and you can choose
the delivery option. Note that if you use Procmail and the file
~/.procmailrc exists then its default is to deliver to /var/mail/$USER.
If ~/.procmailrc exists you also need to change its delivery options.
There are different options for that:

 1. Edit ~/.procmailrc file and put the line "DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/",
    probably at the beginning. It must have trailing "/" because in
    Procmail config the trailing character defines the mailbox format
    (maildir format in this case).

 2. Make Procmail's last rule deliver to your preferred default:

        :0
        $HOME/Maildir/

Also, you'll probably want to configure Mutt to read from ~/Maildir
directory:

    set mbox_type=Maildir
    set spoolfile=~/Maildir

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///