Re: Most compatible way to prepare USB stick

On 2016-10-20, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello the list!
>
> I have gotten myself all turned around and confused on this supposedly
> simple topic, so I'm hoping for a little bit of advice.
>
> I have a USB stick I have previously used as a boot medium for Debian
> installers and live systems. Now I want to wipe it and repurpose it to
> being a generic place to store data for portability between systems. The
> key criterion is that it should be maximally compatible -- I want to be
> able to read and ideally write the stick on Debian, OSX for Mac users
> and Windows (7 and later).
>
> It's a 4GB stick and I am thinking of using all the space in a single
> partition.

I bought a 16 gb Sancruiser (spelling?) USB stick formatted FAT (32 bit) which
works fine on Windows 10, my piano, and here on Squeezy--I mean Wheezy, without
further ado. I don't have a Mac, but, well, here's what my favorite search
engine tells me (no, it's not German--I guess I'll just repeat this over and
over again like I'm in the brain-washing business and people care about my
over-wrought opinions like that other guy):

http://www.howtogeek.com/73178/what-file-system-should-i-use-for-my-usb-drive/

 If you are sharing a drive between computers and don’t need to use big files,
 FAT32 works almost everywhere but doesn’t support files bigger than 4GB. This
 is the default for flash drives since it works everywhere.

--
“It is enough that the arrows fit exactly in the wounds that they have made.”
Franz Kafka