Re: Most compatible way to prepare USB stick

Le decadi 30 vendémiaire, an CCXXV, tomas@tuxteam.de a écrit :
> > So there is a major difference in the way Linux and windows handle
> > file naming. The file names look the same on both Linux and windows,
> > but behind the scenes they are not.
> You'd need more evidence to convince me of that. Among other things,
> fat (and even the Rube-Goldbergian vfat) are stable since long, and
> (by current standards) relatively simple.

There is a major difference in filenames between Linux and Windows, though.

For Linux, a filename is an arbitrary sequence of octets, with only two
values forbidden: 0x00 used as a string terminator, and 0x2F, used a
directory separator. Translating these sequence into printable string is
entirely up to the applications, with most applications having converged to
UTF-8 nowadays.

For Windows, a filename is a sequence of Unicode code points, encoded in
various ways: sometimes as UTF-16, sometimes as a legacy 8-bits encoding,
sometimes as UTF-8 masquerading as a legacy 8-bits encoding. On the sectors
of a VFAT device, I think it is UTF-16.

Since VFAT is a Windows filesystem, Linux has to adapt to handle it, this is
the role of the various nls_* kernel modules.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George