Re: Most compatible way to prepare USB stick

On 10/20/2016 11:07 AM, Nicolas George wrote:
> I have not checked accurately, but nowadays letting Windows chose the
> format will possibly yield exFAT, which is very low in terms of
> compatibility, starting with Linux itself (FUSE filesystems are not
> part of Linux).

I have a backup/ imaging/ workbench/ experiment computer with 3.5" and
2.5" HDD/ SSD mobile racks and trayless racks.  I keep a working Windows
XP image on a HDD for just these occasions.  I believe Windows NT does
NTFS and FAT 12/16/32 (?).  I typically use NTFS, as Debian has
supported NTFS read/ write for several years now and because NTFS is
needed by Norton Ghost 2003 for long file names (one of my favorite
tools from the XP days).

My digital camera (Canon G9X) has a 64 GB SDXC card (SanDisk
SDSDXPA-064G-X46), which is factory-formatted; I believe it is exFAT.  I
have tried connecting the camera to Wheezy over a USB cable more than
once, but have never succeeded at accessing files.  The work-around is
to take the flash card out and use an USB flash card reader (IOGEAR
GFR209).  Sometimes I have similar issues with Android phones, with the
same work-around.  I've installed several packages along the way,
probably more that I need:

    exfat-fuse
    exfat-utils
    gvfs
    gvfs-backends
    jmtpfs

Apple devices are even harder.  The work-around has been to have my son
connect them to his MacBook Pro and copy the files to the file server.

David

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS