Re: Most compatible way to prepare USB stick

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 20:46:53 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 20 Oct 2016 at 20:25:04 +0100, Joe wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 20:03:01 +0100
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > If a reformatted USB stick on Debian isn't "maximally compatible"
> > > I could understand the steering towards using Windows for the
> > > operation. I don't have Windows but many do. They are the ones to
> > > test and report.
> >
> > And I do. My server, home workstation and netbook run Debian, my
> > working laptop and my wife's workstation run Windows, as do all of
> > my clients. My experience is that Windows is sometimes fussy about
> > Linux-formatted media, hence my advice.
>
> I acknowledge your experience and expertise and recognise its
> relevance to the OP's question. Maybe Debian cannot ever get it right
> when it comes to this interworking with other filesystems.

Hardly just Debian. Playing catch-up with unpublished specifications by
means of reverse engineering is never going to reach 100% perfection,
and Microsoft is unlikely to ever acknowledge the existence of
not-invented-here filesystems. As I recall, it was some years before
the Linux NTFS implementation dropped its advice to use it read-only.

--
Joe