Re: Graphics issues debian 8.6

On 2016-10-11, Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> I'm building a backup server which will be tucked away.  For the odd times
> that it needs administration, I want to be able to see the server's desktop
> (XFCE) remotely.  The server has a Gigabyte GA-H110N (Intel H110 chipset)
> motherboard, an i3 CPU, 8 Mb of RAM.  It is using the on-board Intel graphics.
>
> Before I remove the keyboard and monitor from it, I want to be sure that
> everything is working properly.  So, using a monitor and keyboard directly
> connected to the server, I am able to log in to an X session, BUT, the
> resolution of the session is 1024 X 768, not the 1280 X 1024 that I expect and
> that I see in other distros.  There seems to be no option to change this
> resolution.
>
> In a post on the mailing list, a user suggested installing:
>
> #apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree-xserver-xorg-video-intel

Those are two different packages, namely firmware-linux-nonfree and
xserver-xorg-video-intel. To get the former you will need to enable the
'non-free' component in your APT sources[1].

> but I can't seem to be able to download or even find that firmware file.
>
> My problem is not just getting the proper resolution on a local display, but
> also I want to remotely log into a graphical desktop.

You could install lightdm on the server and enable XDMCP. Alternativley
you could consider vnc4server.

1: https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#Component

--

Liam