Graphics issues debian 8.6

I'm building a backup server which will be tucked away.  For the odd times
that it needs administration, I want to be able to see the server's desktop
(XFCE) remotely.  The server has a Gigabyte GA-H110N (Intel H110 chipset)
motherboard, an i3 CPU, 8 Mb of RAM.  It is using the on-board Intel graphics.

Before I remove the keyboard and monitor from it, I want to be sure that
everything is working properly.  So, using a monitor and keyboard directly
connected to the server, I am able to log in to an X session, BUT, the
resolution of the session is 1024 X 768, not the 1280 X 1024 that I expect and
that I see in other distros.  There seems to be no option to change this
resolution.

In a post on the mailing list, a user suggested installing:

#apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree-xserver-xorg-video-intel

but I can't seem to be able to download or even find that firmware file.

My problem is not just getting the proper resolution on a local display, but
also I want to remotely log into a graphical desktop.

Thanks for any help,

Mark

PS.  If I have left anything out, or haven't explained clearly, please ask me
for clarification and/or missing information.