Re: Graphics issues debian 8.6

Mark Neidorff composed on 2016-10-11 16:10 (UTC-0400):

I'm building a backup server which will be tucked away.  For the odd times
that it needs administration, I want to be able to see the server's desktop
(XFCE) remotely.  The server has a Gigabyte GA-H110N (Intel H110 chipset)
motherboard, an i3 CPU, 8 Mb of RAM.  It is using the on-board Intel graphics.

Before I remove the keyboard and monitor from it, I want to be sure that
everything is working properly.  So, using a monitor and keyboard directly
connected to the server, I am able to log in to an X session, BUT, the
resolution of the session is 1024 X 768, not the 1280 X 1024 that I expect and
that I see in other distros.  There seems to be no option to change this
resolution.

In a post on the mailing list, a user suggested installing:

#apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree-xserver-xorg-video-intel

but I can't seem to be able to download or even find that firmware file.

My problem is not just getting the proper resolution on a local display, but
also I want to remotely log into a graphical desktop.

Thanks for any help,

Mark

PS.  If I have left anything out, or haven't explained clearly, please ask me
for clarification and/or missing information.

8.6 is Jessie, released April 2015. The Intel H110 chipset was released September 2015. One cannot expect satisfactory hardware support from a pure Jessie. With Debian, either you need Stretch (or Sid) instead of Jessie, or you need to upgrade Kernel and/or Xorg and/or (video) driver to version(s) supporting H110.

Do note it's possible you ultimately might not even want to use the Intel Xorg video driver. The integrated modesetting driver in Xorg server versions 1.17.0 and up has been transitioning to preferred video driver status:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Intel-DDX

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/