Re: Recommendation: Backup system

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 09:32:02AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> Interesting, thanks. I've been using rsnapshot for years, and am
> basically satisfied with it, although the performance when run on my
> T61 laptop (backing up to a (slow) USB external disk) is indeed painful
> (I do have largeish Maildirs). [Interestingly, when run on my ARM
> (Kirkland) NAS, pulling from the laptop over ethernet / wifi,
> performance seems much better ...]

The first machine where I really had performance problems
with rsnapshot was an ARM-powered Thecus N2100, but that was a pretty
weak CPU from what I recall.

> One thing I really like about rsnapshot is how the backups are all
> stored just as the files themselves, without any special formats, and
> can therefore be inspected / restored from using just the ordinary
> filesystem tools.

That is a nice property, yes. the rdiff-backup format is not quite this,
but is well specified outside of the code (from the last time I looked)
to give me confidence I could pull my files out by hand if I needed to.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread or not, but I actually began a
third party tool to parse rdiff-backup format backups[1], and there exists
another third party tool to do the same thing[2].

> A number of years ago I looked at rdiff-backup, but dropped it due to
> suspicions of the code quality: the project seemed to be dead, and even
> significant bugs were being ignored:

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/10/msg00182.html
>
> I see that you, too, have a report that's been ignored for more than 5
> years ;)

Yes, that's true. The bug that I remember reporting (haven't looked it back up
to be sure) was that reverting a partial (failed) backup requires some disk
space and so fails if the backup device is full - this is a big problem in
theory, but in practice I'm running my backup jobs as non-root, so there's
always the 5% or so reserved space for root users. So in this situation I
can have the roll-back occur as root.

> Am I being unreasonable? You are certainly more of an expert than I - I
> suppose you find that it is quality software, and better than
> rsnapshot, despite basically being dead?

Lack of bug and development activity is certainly a worrying sign of a program
with problems. But development activity naturally dies off if a program does
what it is supposed to do, so it's not always a certainty that it is doomed.
It remains a concern for me, but regardless the tool has worked very well.

[1] https://jmtd.net/software/rdifffs/
[2] https://github.com/rbrito/rdiff-backup-fs

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.